In recent years, numerous scientific studies have affirmed what mindfulness practitioners have understood intuitively for years: mindfulness and meditation help us reduce worry and stress, improve our mental and physical well-being, increase our ability to focus, and positively influence our social interactions. We’ve collected this list of research and resources that demonstrate the proven benefits of mindfulness in virtually every aspect of life.
Work & School Environments
Many studies on the current job market and the education system find that employees and students are disengaged and stressed. Mindfulness helps promote engaged presence, peaceful calm, and positive thinking.
Mindfulness increases your awareness of yourself and others. You can learn to listen attentively and resolve conflicts as your ability to approach others with compassion instead of judgment grows.
As we learn to pay attention to our situation, to give pause before making a decision, a natural leadership arises. Mindful leaders are concerned with the well-being of everyone on their team and have a keen insight to find the advantage in any situation.
Stress Reduction & Mental Health
Mindfulness and meditation help us reduce worry, better handle stressful situations, and manage conditions such as anxiety and depression.
- Why Your Brain Needs More Downtime
- How Meditation Helps You Handle Stress Better
- Six mindfulness techniques for physicians (handling stress)
- The Effect of Mindfulness Meditation Training on Biological Acute Stress Responses in Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Mindfulness for Anxiety: Research and Practice
- The Effects of Mindfulness Meditation on Cognitive Processes and Affect in Patients with Past Depression
- Prevention of Relapse/Recurrence in Major Depression by Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
Physical Health & Pain Management
Studies are finding that mindfulness not only brings the physical benefits associated with reduced stress, but also improves immune system performance and enables practitioners to engage with and manage pain.
- Meditation May Lower Risk of Heart Disease
- Mindfulness May Lower Blood Sugar Levels
- Alterations in Brain and Immune Function Produced by Mindfulness Meditation
- Brain Mechanisms Supporting Modulation of Pain by Mindfulness Meditation
- The Healing Power of Mindfulness
- Three Science-Backed Ways to Relieving Pain and Stress
Focus & Productivity
Mindfulness is all about harnessing the power of your attention and being able to direct it intentionally. With this comes increased ability to focus and to accomplish tasks.